Thursday, June 26, 2014

About this Blog

Well, to get things started here, who the heck is this blogger guy who's writing this blog? My name is David Savage, and I am (as of time of writing) a very recent graduate of the University of California, Santa Cruz, with a degree in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. I think science is really cool, and that a lot of ecological concepts can be explained in ways that will make sense to people without a necessarily extensive ecological education, especially through the use of clever metaphors and analogies, which have proven to be an effective tool in science education.

The plan for this blog, at least as of now, is to, each week, take a single ecology-related article, whether it is in a peer-reviewed scientific journal or in the popular press, and break it down and analyze it for general audiences. I'll do my best to choose articles that are not behind a paywall so that, should I end up with any readers, you all will be able to look at my source material. I'll also cite other articles on each post that might be useful, and while my professors would likely be annoyed that I'm not using some formal citation format, I hope to have enough information to satisfy both readers' curiosity and my own sense of ethics.

I will be up-front about this: a large part of my reason for writing this blog is so that I can show it to potential future employers and/or graduate programs. I don't want to be dishonest about that fact, but I hope that this will not turn anybody off of this blog if you might otherwise read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment